Showbiz / 02-04-2020

James Martin got a shock when he saw himself on widescreen TV: ‘I look massive’

James Martin got a shock when he saw himself on widescreen TV: ‘I look massive’

James Martin has admitted he got a bit of shock when he saw himself on a widescreen TV for the first time.

The Saturday Kitchen star reckons he looked ‘massive’ on telly and we couldn’t disagree more.

The 47-year-old opened up about his weight in a cover shoot interview with Prima magazine.

‘I’ve read all sorts of rubbish about my weight – the worst thing you can do is google yourself – but I try not to get caught up with the way I look,’ the chef said.

‘I don’t look at pictures of myself and I try not to watch myself back on TV, either.

‘Though I did get a bit of shock recently.’


The Home Comforts cook went on: ‘My eyesight is starting to go, so I bought a bigger TV for my bedroom, 85 inches big, and I accidentally caught myself on my Saturday morning show.

‘I looked at myself and thought, ‘”Jesus, I look massive! Oh… I am massive!”‘

You’re perfect in our eyes, James.

The chef also revealed that he’s often approached about doing weight-loss projects, but he thinks he’d be ‘miserable’ on a diet.

‘I live by the motto “believe in what you believe in” and I don’t think I’d be where I am today if it wasn’t for that. It hasn’t always been easy,’ he said.

‘I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked to do a “wellness” show or a health cookbook where I stand on the scales and six months later I’ve lost five stone.

‘They all say, “You’re the prime candidate.” Er, thanks! But the truth is, if I stopped eating butter and using cream and cut out all the good stuff, I’d be miserable – and I wouldn’t believe in what I was doing. It’s not who I am or who I’ve ever been.’

Hear, hear, James!

The TV star hit the headlines last week when he was criticised for not practicing social distancing on his Saturday Morning show.

Viewers noticed how close the chef and his guests – Corrie’s Beverley Callard and fellow chef Nick Nairn – were to each other after the government urged the public to stay at least two meters apart.

After receiving ‘abuse’, James took to social media to defend himself and the show.

The star explained that he has been following the social distancing guidelines and that in fact the show was filmed weeks ago.

Read the full interview in Prima’s May issue, on sale April 3.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.



02-04-2020 19:00, source: metro, by James Foster
Comments
Add a comment
Your name:
Mail: